As you probably already know if you’ve been reading our blog, we’ve been spending some of our time renovating the showroom. So when I heard Max would be doing some work on the showroom I figured this would be a good chance to go with him and see what he’s up to.
Once we had arrived at the showroom we needed to unscrew and take out an USB port on the wall. unfortunately our lack of a screw driver that would actually fit stopped us swiftly in our tracks.
(Max had tried several screw driver heads at this point and was thoroughly fed up).
Don’t worry though, we recovered pretty quickly and moved on to another important job. We decided to go to the server room, because we had a problem where the big TV screens would flicker every two seconds (on and off, on and off, on and… ok you get the picture).
The problem was that our current system of connecting the HDMI cables to the TVs relied on using Ethernet cables as a middle man. This is because HDMI cables aren’t long enough, so we had to use an adapter to convert the HDMI cables into Ethernet cables, which could then be connected to the TVs.
(This is the adapter and it turns out it’s super expensive for what it does, but for your own sanity I won’t tell you the price)
So to fix the problem we moved the Raspberry PIs from the server room and placed them closer to the TVs (one for each TV), and connected the HDMI cables directly to the TVs from Raspberry PIs.
(Max had to take apart the leaning tower of Raspberry PIs… well it’s not leaning but atleast it sounds delicious)
Unfortunately connecting the HDMI cables directly to the TVs would take a lot of rewiring and Max effectively had to dismantle our entire set up for connecting the HDMI cables to the TVs.
After about an hour Max had successfully taken out all the HDMI cables, adapters and a good chunk of the other wires. In the end we had taken out all the wires except the Ethernet cables – those were connected to the Raspberry PIs and were still needed to provide an internet connection (which is fairly essential to our lives) .
Afterwards we went through some test runs to make sure everything was connected properly and that it all worked.
In the end we managed to finish up all the wiring so hopefully when you check out the showroom yourself you won’t see any pesky flickering screens.